Dr Emma L. Smith
I completed my PhD research in 2002 (PhD abstract) and I am now a Lecturer in Environmental Chemistry in the Department of Biological and Chemical Sciences at the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus, Barbados. Up to date details will be found on my personal page at the University of the West Indies.
- Scarlett A., Canty M.N., Smith E.L., Rowland S.J., Galloway T.S. (2007) Can amphipod behaviour help to predict chronic toxicity of sediments? Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 13, 1-13. [doi: 10.1080/10807030701341035].
- Scarlett, A., Rowland, S.J., Canty, M., Smith, E.L., Galloway, T.S. (2007) Method for assessing the chronic toxicity of marine and estuarine sediment-associated contaminants using the amphipod Corophium volutator. Marine Environmental Research 63, 457-470. [doi: 10.1016/j.marenvres.2006.12.006].
- Reineke, V., Rullkötter, J., Smith, E.L. and Rowland, S.J. (2006) Toxicity and compositional analysis of aromatic hydrocarbon fractions of two pairs of undegraded and biodegraded crude oils from the Santa Maria (California) and Vienna basins. Organic Geochemistry 37, 1885-1899. [doi: 10.1016/j.orggeochem.2006.07.017].
- Scarlett, A., Canty, M., Nilsson, J., Smith, E.L., Rowland, S.J. and Galloway, T.S. (2005) Comparative toxicity of two oil dispersants, Superdispersant-25 and Corexit 9527, to a range of coastal species. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 24, 1219-1227. [doi: 10.1897/04-334R.1].
- Crowe, T., Smith, E.L., Donkin, P., Barnaby, D. and Rowland, S.J. (2004) Measurements of sublethal effects on individual organisms indicate community-level impacts of pollution. Journal of Applied Ecology 4, 114-123. [doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2004.00882.x].
- Donkin, P., Smith, E.L. and Rowland, S.J. (2003) Toxic effects of unresolved complex mixtures of aromatic hydrocarbons accumulated by mussels, Mytilus edulis, from contaminated field sites. Environmental Science and Technology 37, 4825-4830.
- Crowe, T., Smith, E., Donkin, P., Barnaby, D. and Rowland, S. (2002) Relationships between scope for growth of mussels, unresolved complex mixtures of hydrocarbons and diversity and structure of intertidal macrofaunal communities. Small Ecological Project Grant Report No. 1729.
- Rowland, S., Donkin, P., Smith, E. and Wraige, E. (2001) Aromatic hydrocarbon 'humps' in the marine environment: unrecognized toxins? Environmental Science and Technology 13, 2640-2644.
- Smith, E., Wraige, E., Donkin, P. and Rowland, S. (2001) Hydrocarbon humps in the marine environment: synthesis, toxicity and aqueous solubility of monaromatic compounds. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 20, 2428–2432.
- 1st International Symposium on Comprehensive Multidimensional Gas Chromatography, Volendam, The Netherlands, 6-7 March 2003. Poster presentation: "GCxGC-ToF-MS Identification of Compounds in the Toxic Hydrocarbon Unresolved Complex Mixture (UCM) of Crude Oils".
- 14th Meeting of the British Organic Geochemical Society, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, U.K., 2-3 July 2002. Oral presentation by colleague: "Resolving the Unresolvable?". [Ancient Biomolecules 4, 95-96 (2002)].
- International Symposium on the Environment & Analytical Chemistry (ISEAC 32), Plymouth, U.K., 17-21 June 2002. Oral presentation: "Forgotten Organic Pollutants: Unresolved Aromatic Hydrocarbons".
- Organic Contaminants in Soil, Water and Sediment: The Cutting Edge, Reading, U.K., 2 May 2002. Poster presentation: "A Comparative Study Using an Isolated Aromatic UCM and Synthetic Model UCM Hydrocarbons".
- Royal Society of Chemistry: Emerging Young Professionals 2002, Bournemouth, U.K., 27-28 April 2002. Invited oral: "One Hump or Two - Unresolved Complex Mixtures of Hydrocarbons in the Marine Environment?".
- International Workshop on the Application of Normal Phase Fractionation in Effect Directed Identification Studies, 26 April 2002, The Hague, The Netherlands. Poster presentation: "The Use of Normal Phase HPLC in Effect Directed Identification Studies Using the Mussel Mytilus edulis".
- SET for Britain: Young Scientists Meeting, House of Commons, London, U.K., 18 March 2002. Poster presentation: "Has the Marine Environment got the Hump?".
- 13th Annual Meeting of the British Organic Geochemical Society, Gregynog, Wales, U.K., 23-25 July 2001. Poster presentation: "Laboratory Synthesised Model Unresolved Complex Mixture (UCM) Hydrocarbons: A Biodegradation Study".
- Society of Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology 3rd World Congress, Global Environmental Issues in the 21st Century: Problems, Causes and Solutions, Brighton, U.K., 21-25 May 2000. Oral presentation: "Unresolved Complex Mixtures of Aromatic Hydrocarbons in the Marine Environment". Received the Proctor and Gamble Young Scientist Award for best platform presentation.
- Society of Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology 18th Annual Meeting, Bridging the Global Environment: Technology, Communication and Education, San Francisco, CA, U.S.A., 16-20 November 1997. Poster presentation: "Photooxidation of Unresolved Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Characterisation and Environmental Toxicity".