In 2005 I carried out work experience at Silsoe Research Institute and here my interest in the environment was strengthened and my desire to study in this area confirmed. I studied BSc Environmental Science at the University of Reading, graduating to 2011. Whilst studying at Reading I have had the opportunity to study a range of subjects, choosing to study modules across a range of departments within the university, including environmental science, soil science, geography, geology, agriculture, ecology and archaeology. However after my first year I chose to direct my degree towards soil science, as I realised that this area was of most interest to me.
I am currently undertaking an ESF funded PhD entitled 'The perfect soil: an investigation of the chemical characteristics needed for healthy, artificial soils at the Eden Project, Cornwall' under the supervision of Dr Mark Fitzsimons, Dr Alan Tappin, Dr Tim Pettitt (Eden Project) and Dr Gavyn Rollinson (Cambourne School of Mines, Exeter University). The aim of this project is to develop a fertile, artificial soil with a large reservoir of slow-release nitrogen that meets the nutrient requirements of the soil.
- Salih, M., Mytilinaios, I., Schofield, H.K. and Lambert, R.J.W. (2012) Modelling of bacterial growth with shifts in temperature using automated methods with Listeria monocytogenes and Pseudomonas aeruginosa as examples. International Journal of Food Microbiology 155, 29-35. [doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2012.01.011].
- Mytilinaios, I., Salih, M., Schofield, H.K. and Lambert, R.J.W. (2012) Growth curve prediction from optical density data. International Journal of Food Microbiology 154, 169-176. [doi: 10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2011.12.035].
- 6th Annual Biogeochemistry Centre Conference, National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth, U.K., 17 December 2014. Oral presentation: "Nitrogen Retention of Artificial Soils Used in the Eden Project Biomes (Cornwall, UK)".
- 5th Annual Biogeochemistry Centre Conference, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, U.K., 12 December 2012. Oral presentation: "Nutrient Characterisation of the Artificial Soils Used in the Biomes of the Eden Project, Cornwall, UK".
- British Soil Science Society Annual Meeting 2013: Soil Science and Biogeochemistry: A Journey Through Space and Time, Lancaster University, Lancaster, U.K., 3-5 September 2013. Poster presentation: "An Investigation of the Nutrient (N, P, K) Retention of an Artificial Soil Using Laboratory-Based Soil Columns".
- 4th Annual Biogeochemistry Centre Conference, University of Plymouth, Plymouth, U.K., 17 December 2012. Oral presentation: "Analysis of the Nitrogen Content of the Artificial Soils at the Eden Project, Cornwall".