- Liquid chromatography and multistage mass spectrometry (LC/MSn)
I have over 15 years' experience in research and development of liquid chromatography and multistage mass spectrometry (LC/MSn). This includes the detection, separation, characterisation and identification of iron complexes in seawater and oilfield chemicals in crude oil and produced waters whilst studying for a PhD, research assistant and research fellow positions at Plymouth University. During this time I also provided specialist knowledge for the interpretation of MSn data for AstraZeneca (AZ) Brixham Environmental Laboratory (BEL, consultancy through Plymouth University). I was offered a 12 month contract with the research team (at BEL in 2005) to setup and operate a newly purchased Thermo Scientific LCQ MS system and develop LC/MS methods and data interpretation for several research projects. This role became a permanent position (2006) within the BEL chemistry unit, continuing to work on research projects and implementing LC/MS methodology to support the regulatory environmental risk assessment (ERA) of pharmaceutical, veterinary and biocidal products, agricultural, personal care and industrial chemicals. In 2009 I was promoted to LC/MSn technical lead (Senior Safety, Health and Environmental Scientist). Recent research included monitoring of active pharmaceutical ingredients for a number of AZ manufacturing sites worldwide to help develop environmental quality standards and bioanalysis of the endocrine disruptor Bisphenol-A which has been linked to human health effects. The position at Brixham Environmental Laboratory, ended April 2014 due to site closure and compulsory redundancy which enabled me to take a short career break.
Some of my research and development interests are: the use of novel chromatographic phase's, elution solvents and atmospheric pressure ionisation methods for small highly polar and other compounds which are generally not amenable with for LC/MSn; the use of LC/MSn for the detection, separation, characterisation, identification and quantification of components in complex mixtures/products and transformation/degradation products or metabolites in a wide range of matrices (such as, waters, soils, sediments, Bio-solids and bio-fluids). I am interested in and seek to develop and design new and improved instrumental functionality and chromatographic techniques. I also maintain and actively seek knowledge of emerging technologies and applications which show potential for improving the analysis for compounds of current and future interest.
- Bartram, A.E., Winter, M.J., Huggett, D.B., McCormack, P., Constantine, L.A., Hetheridge, M.J., Hutchinson, T.H., Kinter, L.B., Ericson, J.F., Sumpter, J.P. and Owen, S.F. (2012) In vivo and in vitro liver and gill EROD activity in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) exposed to the beta-blocker propranolol. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 27, 573-582.
- Melzer, D., Osborne, N.J., Henley, W.E., Cipelli, R., Young, A., Money, C., McCormack, P., Luben, R., Khaw, K.T., Wareham, N.J. and Galloway, T.S. (2012) Urinary bisphenol A concentration and risk of future coronary artery disease in apparently healthy men and women. Circulation 125, 1482-1490.
- Melzer, D., Gates, P., Osborne, N.J., Henley, W.E., Cipelli, R., Young, A., Money, C., McCormack, P., Schofield, P., Mosedale, D., Grainger, D. and Galloway, T.S. (2012) Urinary bisphenol a concentration and angiography-defined coronary artery stenosis. PLoS One 7, .
- Melzer, D., Harries, L., Cipelli, R., Henley, W., Money, C., McCormack, P., Young, A., Guralnik, J., Ferrucci, L., Bandinelli, S., Corsi, A.M. and Galloway, T. (2011) Bisphenol A exposure is associated with in vivo estrogenic gene expression in adults. Environmental Health Perspectives 19, 1788-1793.
- Galloway, T., Cipelli, R., Guralnik, J., Ferrucci, L., Bandinelli, S., Corsi, A.M., Money, C., McCormack, P. and Melzer, D. (2010) Daily bisphenol A excretion and associations with sex hormone concentrations: results from the InCHIANTI adult population study. Environmental Health Perspectives 118, 1603-1608.
- Owen, S.F., Huggett, D.B., Hutchinson, T.H., Hetheridge, M.J., McCormack, P., Kinter, L.B., Ericson, J.F., Constantine, L.A. and Sumpter, J.P. (2010) The value of repeating studies and multiple controls: replicated 28-day growth studies of rainbow trout exposed to clofibric acid. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry 29, 2831-2839.
- Giltrow, E., Eccles, P.D., Winter, M.J., McCormack, P.J., Rand-Weaver, M., Hutchinson, T.H. and Sumpter, J.P. (2009) Chronic effects assessment and plasma concentrations of the ß-blocker propranolol in fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). Aquatic Toxicology 95, 195-202.
- Gledhill, M., McCormack, P., Ussher, S., Achterberg, E.P., Mantoura, R.F.C. et al. (2004) Production of siderophore type chelates by mixed bacterioplankton populations in nutrient enriched seawater incubations. Marine Chemistry 88, 75-83.
- McCormack, P., Worsfold, P.J. and Gledhill, M. (2003) Separation and detection of siderophores produced by marine bacterioplankton using high performace liquid chromatography with electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Analytical chemistry 75, 2647-2652.
- McCormack, P. and Rowland, S.J. (2003) A better way to analyse oilfield chemicals: Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry and multistage mass spectrometry. Chemistry in the Oil Industry VIII; Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge: Manchester, England, pp. 362-367.
- McCormack, P., Jones, P. and Rowland, S.J. (2002) Liquid chromatography/electrospray ionisation mass spectrometric investigations of imidazoline corrosion inhibitors in crude oils. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 16, 705-712. [doi: 10.1002/rcm.625].
- Hetheridge M., McCormack, P., Jones P. and Nesterenko, P. (2002) Analysis of highly polar low molecular weight organic molecules: Part 1 – HPLC Separation using novel hypercrosslinked resin. AstraZeneca Research and Development Bulletin 100.
- Hetheridge M., McCormack, P., and Rowland S. (2002) Analysis of highly polar low molecular weight organic molecules: Part 2 – New Methods for the identification of polar chemicals in complex mixtures. AstraZeneca Research and Development Bulletin 101.
- McCormack, P., Jones, P., Hetheridge, M.J. and Rowland, S.J. (2001) Analysis of oilfield produced waters and production chemicals by electrospray ionisation multi-stage mass spectrometry (ESI-MSn). Water Research 35, 3567-3578. [doi: 10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00070-7].
International & National Conference and Meeting Presentations
- 17th International Conference on Petroleum Phase Behaviour and Fouling, Petrophase 2016, Elsinore, Denmark. 19-23 June 2016. Invited keynote oral (colleague): "The Whips and Scorns of Time: Some of the Challenges of Petroleum Fluid and Petroleum Deposit Characterization".
- SETAC Europe 21st Annual Meeting, Milan, Italy, 15-19 May 2011. Poster presentation "Risk Assessment and Management of API Emissions from Manufacturing Facilities".
- Chemistry in the Oil Industry VIII, Manchester Conference Centre, U.K., 3-5 November 2003.
- 14th Meeting of the British Organic Geochemical Society, Bristol, U.K., 5-7 July 2000. Poster presentation: "Analysis of Oilfield Produced Water and Production Chemicals by Electrospray Ionisation Multi-Stage Mass Spectrometry".